Written by Natasha Lawrence
At The Strategy, we love to share what inspires us and our fellow fashion folk, as well as discuss all things fashion and lifestyle. However, in light of the unnecessary death of George Floyd, and the riots that have followed, we need to talk about what actually matters.
Now is not the time to stay silent. It is the time for action and it is a time for us all to learn how we can do better. Here is what you can do to join the Anti-Racism movement:
Educate yourself on the issue of systemic racism.
- Watch Ava DuVernay’s 13th documentary on Netflix
- Check out this anti-racism resources document compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein
Sign a Petition or Make A Call
No matter where you are, call your government officials and demand change. You can also sign petitions that demand justice and change in our systems.
- Demand justice for Breonna Taylor
- Sign petitions to demand justice for George Floyd: Color of Change or Change.org
- Click here to see additional petitions you can sign
Support BIPOC Businesses
Some of our favourites to shop include:
If you are able, donate to the cause.
- National Bail Fund
- George Floyd Memorial Fund
- Reclaim The Block
- Black Lives Matter
- I Run with Maud
- Colour of Change
Use Your Voice
These conversations may be hard, but it’s important that they are had.
- Start conversations at the dinner table with friends and family to shed light on the situation
- Share consciously on social media. Be mindful of what you post.
- If you see something that is wrong, say something.
If you’re an eligible American citizen, we cannot stress enough how important it is to register to vote.
For more ways to help, click visit BlackLivesMatter.com
Years of racism is not going to be erased in a few days or a weeks. It is going to take years of work, and we all have to work together to ignite the change the world needs.