Written by Natasha Lawrence
We suppose being a fashion website, we should talk about the Met Gala. We really don’t want to, but what type of sartorial website would we be if on this Tuesday, we didn’t mention all the hits and misses on the red carpet of The Met Gala Part 1 of 2?
After a two year wait due to coronavirus, the Met Gala (Part 1) returned Monday September 12th. The theme: In America: A Lexicon of Fashion. Co-chairs for the event included Billie Eilish, Timothée Chalamet, Naomi Osaka, and Amanda Gorman.
Unlike gala’s of years past, this years red carpet was filled with Tik Tok stars, influencers, and the most talked about celebrities of 2021. Sarah Jessica Parker, Blake Lively, and Zendaya – staples on the red carpet of the MET steps, were all notably and sadly absent, much like Nicki Minaj who turned down the invitation due to vaccination requirements (we know you heard her statement online already).
OUR FAVOURITE LOOKS
We can almost hear a displeased Miranda Priestly sigh, “where are the American designers?”
- Kaia Gerber in custom Oscar De La Renta, inspired by Bianca Jagger’s dress from the 1981 Met Gala, designed by Halston – A look that truly is a nod to American fashion.
- Iman in Harris Reed
- Emily Blunt in Miu Miu in an homage to Hedy Lamarr in Ziegfeld Girl – A design of sheer beauty.
A CASE OF ‘HUH’?
- Kim Kardashian – What? Why? How did she see? How did she eat?
- Frank Ocean’s green robot baby – How necessary was it as an accessory?
- Who’s dog was that on the red carpet and can we pet it?
OUR FAVOURITE COMMENTATORS OF THE EVENT
- Danielle Prescod – A TS alum, who’s Tik Toks, Tweets, and IG Stories we live for.
- Tyler McCall – Editor-in-Chief of Fashionista.
- Sophie Ross – a writer and editor who’s Tweets we couldn’t ‘like’ fast enough.
- Vanessa Friedman – Fashion Director/critic of the New York Times and INYT who’s word is gospel in these offices.